Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (rTMS) Costs
rTMS is now approved for use in the UK for treating depression. It has a number of benefits vs medication, being safe, noninvasive and medicine-free. It is also effective in treating even severe depression without the side-effects associated with drugs.
So how does the cost of TMS treatment compare with the traditional medicinal approach?
Researchers in Australia have compared the cost-effectiveness of rTMS with medication in patients with MDD (Major Depressive Disorder) who have had at least 2 courses of antidepressants and failed to improve.
The results of the study showed that rTMS was more cost-effective than pharmacotherapy (medication).
Key points raised in the research were:
- Up to 40% of patients with MDD either do not respond to or tolerate pharmacotherapy
- Up to 85% of patients who do respond can be expected to relapse within 15 years, thereby requiring further treatment
Full assessment of the factors showed that rTMS treatment was likely to be a lower cost option than antidepressant medication
- Probability of rTMS being either dominant or cost-effective vs medication exceeded 70%
- Probability that rTMS was dominant (ie, provided better patient quality-of-life at lower cost) was 32%
- Probability that rTMS was cost-effective was 41%
Currently, rTMS is available in a select number of private clinics in the UK.
SMART TMS CLINICS
The treatment is now available in London, based at The Smart Clinics Brompton Cross (South Kensington).
For any queries or to book an appointment, please contact us:
Tel: 0345 222 5678