The Mental Health Foundation have released a new report on the mental health of the UK population.
The report was issued for Mental Health Awareness Week #MHAW2017 which ran 8-14th May on the theme ‘Surviving or Thriving’. Smart TMS supported the campaign, sharing news and messages to raise awareness of mental health issues as well as offering a number of free TMS consultations.
Mental Health Foundation commissioned independent social research company, NatCen, to survey 2,290 members on levels of mental health, self-reported problems, and how people deal with stress to gain a picture of the UK’s mental health.
UK Mental Health Statistics 2017
- 70% of women and 60% of men reported having experienced a mental health problem
- Only 13% of respondents reported high levels of good mental health
- Younger people were more to have experienced a mental health problem with 70% aged 18-34 and 68% aged 35-54
- Those aged 55+ reported better mental health than average (58% had experienced a mental health problem) and the older group were also most likely to take positive actions to improve mental health – e.g. socialising with friends/family, going for a walk, pursuing hobbies/interests, sufficient sleep, healthy diet, learning new things.
- Depression was the most commonly experienced mental health problem, with 45% of women and 40% of men having experienced it; followed by panic attacks (26%)
As the Mental Health Foundation charity’s campaign states:
“We all have mental health. Good mental health is an asset that helps us to thrive.
“This is not just the absence of a mental health problem, but having the ability to think, feel and act in a way that allows us to enjoy life and deal with the challenges it presents. Yet it can be easy to assume that ongoing stress is the price we have to pay to keep our lives on track.
“It is time to challenge that assumption.”
Good mental health helps us to ‘thrive’ rather than just ‘survive’. It is hoped that Mental Health Awareness Week has helped to raise awareness of the issues surrounding mental health.
More about Mental Health Awareness Week (links to Mental Health Foundation website).
SMART TMS CLINICS
Smart TMS is a specialist provider of TMS treatment in London. Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation therapy (rTMS) is a technological breakthrough in the treatment of depression with a variety of further potential treatment applications.
Smart TMS is located within The Smart Clinics in South Kensington/Brompton Cross.
For any queries or to book an appointment, please contact us:
Tel: 0345 222 5678